- PhD - Administration-Health Services with concentration in Strategic Management from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
- MBA from The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
- Bachelor of Dental Sciences (BDS) from Govt. Dental College & Hospital (BFUHS), Patiala, Punjab
Area of Expertise
Healthcare Workforce (Nurse Practitioners & Physician Assistants)
Profile and History
Dr. Shivani Gupta is an Assistant Professor in the area of Health Care Management at Goa Institute of Management. Prior to joining GIM, she has worked as an Assistant Professor at Saint Louis University (SLU) and The University of Southern Mississippi - Hattiesburg (USM).
Her research has primarily focused on the strategies employed by healthcare organizations in response to the changes in their environment, specifically those related to the healthcare workforce and organizational structure and their association with organizational performance. Dr. Gupta utilizes large secondary datasets like American Hospital Association (AHA) annual survey and CMS Medicare Cost reports to address in-depth the challenges facing healthcare organizations in terms of staffing and improving patients' transition between acute and post-acute or the community and their association with organizational performance (cost, quality and financial).
Introduction to U.S. Healthcare Systems, Strategic Management
Also teaches/ taught at:
Saint Louis university (SLU - St. Louis Missouri, USA), University of Southern Mississippi (USM – Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA)
Peer-Reviewed Published Research
- Gupta, S., Zengul, F.D., Davlyatov, G.K. & Weech-Maldonado, R (2019). Reduction in hospitals' readmission rates: Role of hospital-based skilled nursing facilities. Inquiry: The Journal of Health Care Organization, Provision, and Financing, 56, 0046958018817994. Doi: 10.1177/0046958018817994.
- Weech-Maldonado, R., Pradhan, R., Lord, J., Dyama, N., Gupta, S., & Hearld, L. (2019). High Medicaid nursing homes: Organizational and market Factors associated with financial performance. Inquiry: The Journal of Health Care Organization, Provision, and Financing, 56, 0046958018825061. Doi: 10.1177/0046958018825061.
- Weech-Maldonado, R., Pradhan, R., Dyama, N., Lord, J., & Gupta, S. (2019). Nursing Home Quality and Financial Performance: Is There a Business Case for Quality? Inquiry: The Journal of Health Care Organization, Provision, and Financing, 56, 0046958018825191. Doi: 1177/0046958018825191.
- Weech-Maldonado, R., Dreaschlin, J. L., Epane, J. P., Gail, J., Gupta, S., & Wainio, J.A. (2018). Hospital cultural competency as a systematic organizational intervention: Key findings from the national center for healthcare leadership diversity demonstration project. Health Care Management Review. 43(1)30-41. Doi: 10.1097/HMR.0000000000000128.
- Patidar, N., Gupta, S., Azbik, G., & Weech-Maldonado, R. (2016). Succession planning and financial performance - Does competition matter? Journal of Healthcare Management, 61(3): 215-227.
- Gupta, S., Patidar, N., Epane, J. P., & Weech-Maldonado, R. (2015). Employing nurse practitioners and physician extenders in nursing homes: Role of market factors. International Journal of Health Sciences, 2(3):11-25. doi: 10.15640/ijhs.v2n3a2
- Gupta, S., Epane, J. P., & Weech-Maldonado, R. (2015). Hiring internationally-educated nurses in hospitals: Role of competition and resource availability. Journal of Hospital Administration, 4(3): 79. doi: 10.5430/jha.v4n3p79
Book Chapters Published
- Howard, S. W., Gupta, S., Malik, A. M., Ferreira, W. C. (2018). Strategic Management & Marketing. The Global HealthCare Manager: Competencies, Concepts and Skills (1st ed., pp. 211-254). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press - AUPHA.
- Gupta, S. Organizational and market-level predictors of hospital-based skilled nursing facility closures. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2016. doi: 10.5465/AMBPP.2016.22