Ph.D Health Sciences, Master of Public Health
Kheya Melo Furtado
Areas of Expertise
Public Health, Health Systems Financing
Kheya Melo Furtado
Profile & History
Kheya is an Associate Professor of Healthcare Management at the Goa Institute of Management.
Her areas of research, consultancy, and teaching are Health Systems Financing, Public Health, and Epidemiology.
Her current research focuses on the implementation assessment of PMJAY and other publicly financed health protection schemes in India, implemented at the national and state level. She has secured research projects as Principal Investigator from the World Health Organization (WHO) and Harvard School of Public Health.
Prior to GIM, she served at the Health Division of the NITI Aayog, Government of India, where she implemented key projects such as the NITI Health Index for ranking States & UTs on their performance in Health; the drafting of the Health Chapter of the Three- Year Action Agenda for Government of India 2017-18 to 2019-20 and the NITI District hospital index for monitoring the performance of public hospitals. She also contributed policy inputs on the various national health schemes and initiatives.
Her doctoral research was carried out in disease surveillance and private sector participation, under the INSPIRE fellowship award of the Department of Science and Technology.
- Furtado KM, Kar A. Private Sector Engagement for Infectious Disease Surveillance in Mixed Health Systems: Lessons from a Model Dengue Reporting Network in India. Journal of Health Management. April 2022. doi:10.1177/09720634221091011
- McConnell M, Mahajan M, Bauhoff S, Croke K, Verguet S, Castro MC, Furtado KM, Mehndiratta A, Farzana M, Rashid SF, Cash R. How are health workers paid and does it matter? Conceptualising the potential implications of digitising health worker payments. BMJ Glob Health. 2022 Jan;7(1):e007344. doi: 10.1136/bmjgh-2021-007344. PMID: 35078811; PMCID: PMC8796226.
- Furtado KM, Raza A, Mathur D, Vaz N. (2020) Assessing the Trust and Insurance Models of Healthcare Purchasing under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana: early insights from two States. Working Paper. Available at https://pmjay.gov.in/sites/default/files/2020-02/WP_GIM_study_3.pdf.&nb…;
- Kumar A, Furtado KM et al. The Malady in Healthcare: Agenda for Action. In: Debroy B, Desai KA, ed. On the Trail of the Black. New Delhi: Rupa Publications; 2017.
- Jain N, Kumar A, Nandraj S, Furtado KM. (2015) NSSO 71st Round: Same Data, Multiple Interpretations. Economic and Political Weekly 50(46-47): 84-87
- Furtado KM, Kar A. (2014) Health resources in a 200,000 urban Indian population argues the need for a policy on private sector health services. Indian Journal of Community Medicine 39:98-102
- Furtado KM, Kumar A. (2015) Disease surveillance: Engaging the private sector. NITI technical articles. Available at: http://niti.gov.in/writereaddata/files/document_publication/Disease_sur…
2021 onwards | Associate Professor | Goa Institute of Management
2018-2021 | Assistant Professor | Goa Institute of Management
2017-2018 | Consultant | NITI Aayog
2015-2017 | Young Professional | NITI Aayog
2010-2014 | DST-INSPIRE Fellow | University of Pune
2009-2010 | Programme Manager | Prognosis