Ph.D Health Sciences, Master of Public Health
Kheya Melo Furtado
Areas of Expertise
Public Health, Health Systems Financing
Kheya Melo Furtado
Profile & History
Kheya Furtado is Associate Professor at the Goa Institute of Management's Healthcare Management programme. Her areas of interest are Health Systems Financing and Public Health. Her current research focusses on the design and implementation of publicly financed health protection schemes in India, implemented at the national and state level. Prior to GIM, she served at the Health Division of the NITI Aayog, Government of India, where she implemented key projects such as the NITI Health Index for ranking States & UTs on their performance in Health; the drafting of the Health Chapter of the Three- Year Action Agenda for Government of India 2017-18 to 2019-20 and the NITI District hospital index for monitoring the performance of public hospitals. She also contributed policy inputs on the various national health schemes and initiatives. Her doctoral research was carried out under the INSPIRE fellowship award of the Department of Science and Technology.
Courses taught: Financing and Paying for Healthcare, Epidemiology, Public Health Labs
- Furtado KM, Raza A, Mathur D, Vaz N. (2020) Assessing the Trust and Insurance Models of Healthcare Purchasing under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana: early insights from two States. Working Paper. Available at https://pmjay.gov.in/sites/default/files/2020-02/WP_GIM_study_3.pdf.&nb…;
- Kumar A, Furtado KM et al. The Malady in Healthcare: Agenda for Action. In: Debroy B, Desai KA, ed. On the Trail of the Black. New Delhi: Rupa Publications; 2017.
- Jain N, Kumar A, Nandraj S, Furtado KM. (2015) NSSO 71st Round: Same Data, Multiple Interpretations. Economic and Political Weekly 50(46-47): 84-87
- Furtado KM, Kar A. (2014) Health resources in a 200,000 urban Indian population argues the need for a policy on private sector health services. Indian Journal of Community Medicine 39:98-102
- Furtado KM, Kumar A. (2015) Disease surveillance: Engaging the private sector. NITI technical articles. Available at: http://niti.gov.in/writereaddata/files/document_publication/Disease_sur…