MSc, MPhil, PhD
Profile & History
Dr. Saswat Barpanda is an Associate Professor at the Goa Institute of Management.
He is a Ph.D. from Vinod Gupta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. He also holds degrees of MPhil and MSc (Gold Medallist) in Zoology from Sambalpur University. He has a decade long diverse exposures in academia and industry. Previously, he has taught at the Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), Ahmedabad. He is also associated Amrita AHEAD's Online Degree programs for Amrita University in designing, developing and delivering contents on Research methods for master’s students. During his PhD tenure he had an opportunity to work for IFMR, Centre for Micro Finance in a project sponsored by Ford Foundation. Prior to that he worked in industry as an HR professional with focus on manpower planning, recruitment, headhunting, HR planning and policies formulation.
His research work broadly in the area of Strategic Human Resource management emphasize on intellectual capital and knowledge management, HR practices, firmography /Organizational demography and Performance in Microfinance institutions. He has guided /guiding PhD students in the area strategy, frugal innovation, social entrepreneurship/social innovation and published research articles in journals of national and international repute.
His teaching interest includes Human Resource management, Organizational Behaviour, Managerial value and Business ethics, Strategic HRM, HR Analytics, Social entrepreneurship, Research methodology.
Research & Publications
• Barpanda.S (2021), Role of Human and Structural Capital on Performance through Human Resource Practices in Indian MFIs: A Mediation Moderation Approach. Knowledge and Process Management, Vol. 28, No. 2. 165-180, Wiley ABDC/ B, AJG-ABS 2021
• Barpanda. S, Athira.S (2021), Cause of Attrition in an Information Technology Enabled Services Company: A Triangulation Approach, International Journal of Human Capital and Information Technology Professionals (IJHCITP), Vol. 13, No.1 Web of Science (SCI), Scopus (Forthcoming)
• Barpanda.S & Bontis, N (2021), Human resource practices and performance in microfinance organizations: Do intellectual capital components matter, Knowledge and process Management, Vol. 28, No. 3, 209-222, ABDC/ B, AJG-ABS 2021
• Shivdas, A; Barpanda, S; Sivakumar, S (2021), Frugal Innovation Capability: Conceptualization and Measurement", Prometheus: Critical Studies in Innovation; Vol. 37, No. 3, 259-285 ABDC/B, AJG-ABS 2021
• Barpanda.S and Kamal. A (2020), Associations of Personality and Emotional Intelligence with Political Skill: A study on Budding Managers, Indian Journal of Positive Psychology. Vol. 11, No.4, pp.354-364, ProQuest.
• Barpanda.S and Kamal. A (2020), Energy Consumption Behaviour and the role of Cognitive Norms among the Higher Education Institution Students “Teri Information Digest on Energy and Environment (TIDEE) 19(3), pp. 267-280
• Cornet. S and Barpanda. S (2020), Exploring Social Innovation through Co-Creation in Rural India using Action Research", Social Enterprise Journal, Vo. 17, No.2, 240-259, emerald ABDC/C, AJG-2021
• Barpanda, S. and S. Mukhopadhyay (2020), Does Firmography patterns human resource practice? Evidence from microfinance industry of India. Asian Journal of Empirical Research, Vol. 10, No.1, pp. 24-39. Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)
• Barpanda,S and Sreekumar, N (2020), Performance Analysis of Hospitals in Kerala Using DEA Model, Journal of Health Management, Vol. 22, No.1, pp. 23-40 .Scopus
• Barpanda, S. and Bhagyalakshmi, U. (2019), “Relationship of employee’s perception on health and safety measures and job performance: the mediating effects of job satisfaction”, International Journal of Environment, Workplace and Employment, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 107-127 (Scopus & ABDC/C).
• Barpanda, S and Mridula T (2019), "Knowledge Transfer in Non-profit Organizations: A Qualitative Study" International Journal of Knowledge and Learning (IJKL). Vol. 13, No.1, pp. 25-44 (Scopus & ABDC/C).
• Barpanda, S. and S. Mukhopadhyay (2016), Intellectual capital components in Indian microfinance sector: scale development and an empirical study, International Journal of Learning and Intellectual Capital (IJLIC), Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 338-360 (Scopus & ABDC/C, AJG-2021)
• Barpanda, S. and S. Mukhopadhyay (2015), A new perspective on performance in Indian microfinance institutions: an empirical study, International Journal of Sustainable Economies Management (IJSEM), Vol.4, No. 4, pp.1-17 (Index Copernicus, Google Scholar).
• Barpanda, S. and S. Mukhopadhyay (2014), Human capital and organizational learning a study of Indian microfinance institutions, Int. J. Management Practice, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp.222 to 239 (Scopus & ABDC/C, AJG-2021).
• Barpanda, S. and S. Mukhopadhyay (2012), A Case study on the ethical issues in MFIs, International Journal of Business Ethics in Developing Economies (IJBEDE), Vol 1, Issue 1, pp. 27-33, (EBSCO & ProQuest).
• Barpanda, S. and S. Mukhopadhyay (2014), “Turbulent Triggers Transformation, A case of Indian Microfinance Institutions,” in edited book titled “Managing Business in Turbulent time: A case study approach”, ICBM School of Business Excellence, Hyderabad, ISBN: 978-81-924315-0-5.
• Barpanda, S. and S. Mukhopadhyay (2013), “Adaptability is the key to learning; a case of Indian MFIs” in edited book titled “Facing Challenges in the Era of Globalization” EPH, Excellent Publishing House, New Delhi, ISBN: 978-93-83083-13-8
• Barpanda, S. and S. Mukhopadhyay (2013), “The Malegam Committee Microfinance Report: - Will the MFIs Accept It?” edited book titled "Resource book on Case studies in Business Management: a global perspective", Anne Book Pvt. Ltd, ISBN 9789382127543.
• Barpanda, S (2012), “An Analysis of Human Resource Strategy in Microfinance Sector” edited book titled “Finance & Sustainable Development (With Special Reference to Micro Finance)” ISBN 978-8484-186-2, Regal Publisher: New Delhi.
• Barpanda. S (2012) (co-authored with 5 authors), “Effects of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Regulations on Public Sector Lending for Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs)” IFMR, Centre for Microfinance Research Group
• Barpanda. S (2013) (co-authored with 5 authors), “Rethinking Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Regulations for MFIs: An Analysis of Microfinance Clients from Urban and Semi-urban Communities, A case study”; CMF Focus Note.
• Barpanda, S (2008), Management and Spirituality, HRD News Letter (ISSN-0974-1720), Vol.24, Issue. 5, pp. 22-23
• Barpanda, S (2008), Headhunting: an art or a science, HRD News Letter (ISSN-0974-1720), Vol.24, Issue. 6, pp. 38-39
• Barpanda, S (2020) participated and presented at Globethics.net International Conference, Building New Bridges Together: Strengthening Ethics in Higher Education after COVID-19
• Kamal, A and Barpanda, S (2017) Presented a paper titled” Factors influencing the Energy Consumption Behaviour Pattern among the Indian Higher Education Institution Students” IEEE International Conference on Technological Advancements in Power and Energy (TAP Energy 2017), 22nd Dec-23rd Dec, at Amrita University. Kerala. Scopus
• Kamal, A and Barpanda, S (2017) Presented a paper titled ““Moderating role of Technological Changes in the relationship between Human Capital and Labour productivity in the Indian Automobile Industry.” Indian Society of Labour Economics, 59th Annual conference, 16th to 18th Dec at Thiruvananthapuram at Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation
• Barpanda, S. and Mukhopadhyay, S. (2017) Presented paper titled “Does Firmography matters in Shaping Human Resource? A Study in Microfinance Industry” on National Management Conclave: "Business, Innovation & Sustainability" on Jan, 2017, NIT Rourkela.
• Barpanda, S. and Mukhopadhyay, S. (2013) Presented Paper titled ‘Human Capital and Firm Performance: Human Resource Practice as Mediator in Indian Microfinance Sector’ in “COSMAR 2013”, The 13th Consortium of Students in Management Research (COSMAR) on 15th & 16th November 2013 at the Department of Management Studies, IISc. Bangalore.
• Barpanda, S. and Mukhopadhyay, S. (2013) Presented paper (case) titled “Turbulence Triggers Transformation: A Case on Indian Microfinance Institutions” in International Case Competition - 2013 on the theme “Managing Business in Turbulent Times” organized by ICBM - School of Business Excellence, Hyderabad in association with Academy of Management Professionals and ACBSP, Global Business Accreditation on 9th Nov. 2013
• Barpanda, S. and Mukhopadhyay, S. (2013) presented paper (case) titled “Adaptability is the key to learning; a case of Indian MFIs” has been published on International Case Colloquium in 18th May 2013 on the theme “Facing Challenges in the Era of Globalization” by Shri Vaishnav Institute of Management. ISBN: 978-93-83083-13-8.
• Barpanda, S. (2013), presented paper titled “Role of Human Capital in the Sustainability of Microfinance Institutions”, National Conference on “Paradigm for Sustainable Business: People, Planet & Profit” held on March 8 & 9, 2013 at Department of Management Studies, IIT Roorkee.
• Barpanda, S. (2012), presented paper titled “Ethics in Human Resource Management: With Special Reference to Microfinance Sector”, International Conference on “Managing Human Resources at the Workplace”, 14-15 December, 2012, ISBN: 978-81-922146-4-1, SDM Institute for Management Development (SDMIMD), Mysore, Karnataka.